Services During COVID-19
Due to COVID-19, Linn County has closed most County buildings to the public once again to help reduce community spread of the virus and to help ensure continuity of County services. The closure will remain in effect until public health conditions improve and allow for modifications.
County staff continue to work on-site and remotely to provide County services to the public. Residents and businesses may conduct County business online, by phone, by email, by mail, and by drop boxes located outside County buildings.
To contact the Auditor's Office, please call 319-892-5300 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday or send an email.
We appreciate the public's understanding of the need to conduct business in new ways during this global pandemic.
The Office of County Auditor was created in 1870. The duties of the office covered areas that had previously been given to the County Judge in 1851 and to the Clerk of Court in 1861. The State Legislature added the duties of Commissioner of Elections to the Auditor's Office in the early 1970's. The County Auditor is an elected position with a term of four years.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the Linn County Auditor are as follows:
- Accounting Services
- Keeps ledger accounts of all revenues and expenditures of the County
- Receives claims for payment from various departments
- Prepares lists of claims for review by the Board of Supervisors (BOS)
- Issues payments for claims approved by the BOS
- Keeps all wage and withholding records for county employees
- Receives time cards, computes wages, generates and distributes payroll checks
- County Clerk Services
- Takes minutes of the BOS meetings and maintains records of BOS proceedings
- Processes permits on behalf of the State of Iowa for beer, liquor and cigarette sales by businesses in the unincorporated areas of the county
- Processes fireworks permits for residents outside the City of Cedar Rapids
- Election Services
- Administers all local, state and federal elections in Linn County
- Maintains county voter registration records
- Property Tax & Real Estate Services
- Keeps records of all property ownership in the county
- Determines tax rates and property taxes for all taxable property based on valuations and certified local budget