South San Juan Wilderness Trek
The South San Juan Wilderness Trek is a two week backpacking trip for high school students to one of the most pristine wilderness areas in the United States: near Pagosa Springs along the Continental Divide in Southwest Colorado. Through a partnership with Step Outdoors, the U.S. Forest Service, and local nonprofits, Linn County Conservation is able to offer this opportunity. Students who meet application guidelines are eligible for this trip from July 19 - 29, 2022. No camping or backpacking experience needed. Class size is limited.
- Participants will work on a stewardship project designated by the Forest Service and Step Outdoors. Projects may include trail maintenance, campsite rehabilitation, ecosystem monitoring, and restoration.
Study of Wilderness
- Through this trek, participants will form a personal defnition for wilderness. After reading about the idea of wilderness, trek leaders will facilitate discussion on the philosophy, importance, and ideas of wilderness.
- Trek leaders will stop for trail-side lessons whenever the opportunity comes up. These mini-lessons may cover aquatic biology, tree/flower identification, fire ecology, and more.
- Leave No Trace, campsite set-up, backcountry cooking, water fltration, and sustainable camping skills will be gained.
Safety and Cost
Trip leaders are highly experienced and trained in advanced wilderness first aid, navigation, and group management. SPOT devices will be used for daily communication and weather updates.
Thanks to outstanding community support from the NATOPAKAMA Bittersweet Foundation, Linn County Conservation is able to offer this program FREE of charge. All equipment, transportation and meals will be included for students accepted into the program.
Students must complete the application process by April 22 For details, email Kent.Rector@linncounty.org or call 319-892-6488
- Donate online. In the Special Needs, section, enter Wilderness Trek to earmark your donation
- Or mail a check to:
|Linn County Conservation|
% Wilderness Trek
10260 Morris Hills Rd
Toddville, IA 52341