Deputy Sheriff Recruiting
If you are interested in a career in law enforcement, consider the Linn County Sheriff’s Office. We are one of the most progressive departments in Iowa and offer excellent wages, benefits, and opportunities for advancement. You need no previous experience and will be paid during the time that you are trained. Submit your application online before Sunday, April 11 at 5 PM.
In addition to submitting your application online, all applicants must attend the required Civil Service Physical Fitness and Written Exam as follows.
Civil Service Physical Fitness Exam
Civil Service Written Exam
As established by the Code of Iowa, Chapter 341A (PDF), the Linn County Civil Service Commission for Deputy Sheriffs oversees the deputy sheriff hiring process.
Deputy Sheriff Hiring Process
- Physical Fitness Test
- The physical fitness test consists of three individual sections, which include a one-minute sit-up test, a one-minute push-up test, and a 1.5 mile run test. You must pass all three sections of the physical test to continue in the selection process.
- Written Exam
- Applicants that successfully complete the physical fitness tests, will then take the written exam. The written exam is given immediately following the physical fitness exam. The four part written exam consists of questions regarding mathematics, reading comprehension, grammar and report writing skills. The exam is timed. Applicants may transfer a previous passing score taken within the last 12 months from another Iowa law enforcement agency.
- Oral Interview with the Civil Service Commission
- Applicants that successfully pass the physical fitness tests and written exam, the Civil Service Commission will contact you to schedule an oral interview.
- Certification of Civil Service List
- Based on the results of the physical fitness tests, written exam, and oral interview, the Civil Service Commission will provide the Sheriff with a certified list of the top ten applicants.
- Background Investigation
- Background investigations will be conducted on the top ten applicants.
- Interview with Sheriff’s Command Staff
- Applicants will be contacted by the Sheriff’s Office to schedule an interview with the Sheriff’s Office command staff.
- Conditional Offer of Employment
- As a job vacancy occurs, the Sheriff will offer the position to an applicant on the certified list, which is conditional on the applicant’s successful passing of a physical exam (including vision, hearing, and physical wellness exams), a polygraph exam, a drug-screening test and a psychological exam.
Please be advised that the hiring process may take 3 to 4 months. Those applicants not offered employment will need to re-submit another application during the next testing period.